This week were applying our theme of balanced nutrition into the Filipino favorite, chicken Afritada.
- 3 tablespoons high-heat stable cooking oil (coconut, avocado or grapeseed)
- 1-2 lbs. antibiotic-free, hormone-free chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 6 cloves minced garlic
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 large sweet potato or yam, cubed
- 1 large carrot, cubed
- ¼ head purple cabbage
- 1 large bellpepper, cubed
- 4 pieces dried bay leaves
- 1 (15 oz) can sweet peas
- ½ cup flat leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a pot.
- Sauté the onion until transluscent.
- Add the chicken slices. Continue to sauté until the chicken gets light brown.
- Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Pour the chicken broth and add the tomato paste. Stir and let boil. Add the dried bay leaves. Cover the pot and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato, carrot and cabbage. Simmer until vegetables and sweet potato are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add bellpepper, sweet peas and parsley. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with wild or black rice.
Let us know what you think!
Your Partner in Health,